[WikiEN-l] I believe I called this some time ago...

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 17:23:20 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 19:04:16 +0000, "David Gerard"
> <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> But that Making Light ran a blatant personal attack article *after*
>> the original conflict had apparently been sorted out, however, does
>> not speak well of them at all in terms of being people it's reasonable
>> to consider bothering to interact with.
>>

> I have a couple of thoughts from this exchange.
>
> Webcomic "marketing" is essentially viral or memetic.  Clicks is how
> sell themselves to publishers and advertisers, it's the life-blood
> of the webcomic genre.  Wikipedia does not play that game well; we
> try to wait until significance is established, whereas they really
> want us to play a part in making significance happen.
>
> This should never have got this far, though.  When did Comixpedia go
> online?  Wikipedia could never be the global directory of all
> webcomics, that is something we are not and Comixpedia apparently
> is; we should have been better at communicating that.
>
> And actually we should have <puts a pound in the buzzword box>
> leveraged the Wikiproject here.  The webcomics editors include many
> long-time, sensible, practical people.  A system of filtering,
> triage, review and selective quiet removal, led by people who know
> what they are talking about, is much harder to complain about.
>
> Question: do Wikiprojects have the self-discipline to be trusted?
>
> In other words, if we made the first stage of AfD a direction to the
> Wikiprojects, with no comments allowed in the "catch-all" criterion
> until they had been assessed as properly identified deletion
> candidates, would the projects prevent deletion of everything they
> like, regardless of objective measures of quality and verifiability?
>
> Guy (JzG)

It depends on the project. Some projects (MILHIST comes to mind, there
are others), would be quite trustworthy and even now often nominate
inappropriate articles in "their" area for AfD themselves. Others (ROADS
comes to mind, I recall them sending out a "newsletter" when a few road
articles were up for AfD with an undisguised canvassing attempt, as well
as many projects on fictional subjects) would simply reject any request
to delete -any- type of cruft in "their" area.

I love the idea, though. You mean those saying "keep and reference"
-actually have to find the references-? Brilliant!