[WikiEN-l] Attributing "attribution required" free images

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 04:43:18 UTC 2007

On Oct 29, 2007 2:59 PM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2007.10.30 00:05:12 +1000, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> scribbled 0 lines:
> > It's about time we had this debate again. Morally, ethically, legally: what
> > are we required to do to meet the "attribution required" aspect of certain
> > free images we acquire from Flickr or other sources, including our own
> > contributors?
> >
> > Viewpoint #1: Provided the information is available on the image information
> > page, which can be reached by clicking the image, then attribution
> > information is available to anyone who wants it.
> > Viewpoint #2: The attribution should be more visible, such as beneath the
> > image in articles. This is the standard used by newspapers, for instance.
> > People who licence their work under "attribution required" licences are
> > expecting a bit more than a begruding source tag hidden behind a mouse
> > click.

> Question: why should we give special prominence and mention of the original author to a carefully composed, lovingly shot photo whose license requires attribution to the author(s), and not give special prominence and mention of the original author to a carefully composed, lovingly written article/text whose license requires attribution to the author(s)?

I'm 100% with Gwern.  We should make every effort to credit creators
and authors, and to filter up information about the provenance of an
article, sketch, image, or media file.

Wikitravel is much better about this than we are.  We should be
indicating significant authors on every page, and a neatly-formatted
small photo credit by a photo, as has been standard in many
elegantly-prepared print publications, would likewise be good
practice.  We should be setting standards here, not concealing data
that is at our fingertips.

SJ

SJ