[WikiEN-l] I believe I called this some time ago...

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Nov 9 18:34:10 UTC 2007

Philip Sandifer wrote:
> http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/index.php/2007/10/30/wikiwatch-how-did-that-picture-get-there/
>
> Oh look. Our webcomics deletionism has driven off contributors and
> hurt the project.
>
> I'm surprised. Are you surprised? I'm surprised.

I saw this back when it first came up and considered writing a posting
here about it, but I decided against it because I figured I'd sound like
a broken record. But I guess that fact itself is kind of significant.

Frankly, I support this boycott. We, as a community, decided to reduce
our support for webcomics articles as much as possible, so it's entirely
reasonable that they, as a community, would decide to reduce their
support for Wikipedia as much as possible. Some editors like to point
out how prominent Wikipedia has become as a reason why it's important to
remove "non-notable" material. Well, here's the flipside of that; a lot
of people notice now when we snub a subject area that they themselves
consider notable.