[WikiEN-l] Pakistani politicians and systemic bias

Guy Chapman aka JzG guy.chapman at spamcop.net
Fri Nov 9 09:58:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 04:19:47 -0500, "John Lee" <johnleemk at gmail.com>
wrote:

>Wait, we have a rule saying only English sources are acceptable now? Or do
>you just mean that an article should never rely on non-English sources
>alone?

I don't think it's unreasonable that on the *English* Wikipedia, the
English-speaking community should be able to verify at least the
core facts.

But you miss the point: the sources are not significant *even in
their own language*.  The entire country has a smaller population
than my town.  Is there a big newspaper culture there?  Have the
press played a significant cultural role, as they did in some
periods of Apartheid South Africa?  Is this paper run by the local
equivalent of Donald Woods?  Do the population mostly read papers
from Guyana or Brazil?

And can this article ever hope to e anything other than a one-line
directory entry?  Do sources exist to expand beyond that?

I did do a Google search for English-language coverage and all I
could find that was usable was this:
http://www.freemedia.at/cms/ipi/freedom_detail.html?country=/KW0001/KW0002/KW0029/

That says more about the publisher of De West.  But perhaps there is
a story to tell here?  If you read Dutch I'm sure you can make
something of it.

Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk