[WikiEN-l] WP:DENY is a steaming pile of crap.

Josh Gordon user.jpgordon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 03:00:24 UTC 2007

There are several stopped clocks here.

The word "troll" dehumanizes the subject and stops the conversation dead in
its tracks.

Flameviper, for example, seems to be many baneful things that are not
beneficial to Wikipedia, and I've had no second thoughts about having
blocked him indefinitely; but labeling him a "troll" is just laziness.
Efficiency of expression is not a good reason to use jargon that is harmful
to community.  It's clearer to spell out that someone is too disruptive,
immature, and self-centered to waste any more time with, if any expanation
other than "disruptive" is necessary.

On Nov 7, 2007 6:46 PM, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> On 8 Nov 2007 09:38:35 +1100, "Steve Bennett" <stevagewp at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > 3. Once a person with sufficient wisdom and
> > authority has deemed that a person is a troll, THEY ARE A TROLL. No
> > more time should be wasted on them.
>
> That sounds a lot like the Orwellian "Unperson", or Scientology
> "Suppressive Person", concepts, and can be really unfair to people
> who are unjustly labeled this way.  Didn't an early version of WP:NPA
> specifically say that labeling somebody a "troll" was an
> impermissible personal attack?  The Wikipedia culture has changed
> since then, and not necessarily for the better.
>

> --
> == Dan ==
> Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
> Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/