[WikiEN-l] WP:DENY is a steaming pile of crap.

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:38:35 UTC 2007

On 11/8/07, Flameviper Velifang <theflameysnake at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   <Randomperson> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Flameviper <-- HE'S A
> BANNED TROLL
>   [INFO] Mode +o Op by ChanServ
>   [INFO] Mode +b Flameviper*!*@* by Op
>   [INFO] Op has kicked Flameviper from #wikipedia-en (Flooding, 4chan/ED
> trolling)
>   [INFO] You are banned from this channel.

This is exactly the correct approach to dealing with trolls.

1. Most trolls, by definition, thrive on living on the very edge of
acceptable behaviour. They are capable of crossing from side to side as they
see fit.
2. It is very time consuming for every person to have to continually
re-evaluate whether a person is a troll or not.
3. Once a person with sufficient wisdom and
authority has deemed that a person is a troll, THEY ARE A TROLL. No
more time should be wasted on them.
4. If a decreed troll ever wants to become a normal community member
again, it should be hard. Very hard. A lot harder than appearing in an
IRC channel and saying "hey, can't we just be friends?"

We don't dish out the term "troll" lightly. Nor do we retract it lightly.

Steve