[WikiEN-l] Edit Wikipedia Week is coming. How not to bite the n00bs?

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Tue Nov 6 19:59:38 UTC 2007

== Statistics are in: 123.6% of all threads are about deletionism ==

All other thread topics have apparently been subsumed.  Wikipedia and
the mailing list are soon to be renamed the "deletionist discussion
forum".

</sarcasm off>

----

== Wikipedia goals - accuracy or inclusiveness ==

No, we do not all agree.  I want both accuracy and inclusiveness , and I
am dissatisfied with what I perceive as inclusiveness being considered
unimportant, almost dispensable.

> Earlier): "...I think we all agree on the end/goal/aim "Wikipedia as
accurate / correct / vandalism-free as possible" [choose what you like
best from these terms] ... "

No, we do not all agree.  While I appreciate calls for accuracy, I
prefer calls for inclusionism and no censorship.  I'm not asking you to
change your mind or back down.  I'm only trying have my alternative
opinion included.  I'm just trying to maintain an alternative voice in
the fray.  Whether you call it "loyal opposition" or "minority view" or
whatever, I want it clear that there are those of us in Wikipedia who
disagree with the rampant deletionism .

I appreciate some of us want an accurate encyclopedia.  Me too.  But not
just also, but more important to me, I want an inclusive, integrated
user community.  You too?  Do you want an inclusive, integrated user
community ?  In what way do you see accomplishing that goal?

I disagree with those who think anyone who is not a spammer or vandal or
off-topic contributor may be expendable at the whim of an impatient
admin.  I believe that the goals of the encyclopedia can NOT be achieved
at the expense of inclusivity.  We've already got exclusive
encyclopedias:

Britanica http://www.britannica.com/
Creationwiki http://www.creationwiki.org/
Conservapedia http://www.conservapedia.com/
... even:
Citizendium http://en.citizendium.org/  (Support the Citizendium!
Funding drive goal: $10,000 - $620 raised so far)
... and so on.

> Earlier: there is a big difference between "a necessarily imperfect
work in progress" and
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=George_S._Patton&curid=42090&d
iff=169628093&oldid=169618698  (first diff on English WP RC when I
loaded it) ... At least this instance of vandalism is probably not going
to [do?] material harm to anyone..."

So, we agree about dispensing with spam and vandalism and off topic
contributions.  Now that we have that out of the way, perhaps we can
agree to leave such irrelevant straw-men out of conversations about ...
biting newbies.

----