[WikiEN-l] Edit Wikipedia Week is coming. How not to bite the n00bs?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 16:24:46 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 10:52 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> We shouldn't be templating ANYONE. It's a bureaucratic "go away."
>
> (The usual response to pointing this out is "but I can't possibly keep
> up with the flood of responses otherwise." To which the response is
> "so don't.")

English Wikipedia is already serving more than _a million_ 'damaged'
page views per-day*.  I'm personally a bit tired of browsing Wikipedia
being shock image roulette.

The urgency and lack of eventualism clearly causes harm, but it's not
entirely unjustified. What is your answer to this?

* http://www.cs.umn.edu/~reid/papers/group282-priedhorsky.pdf