[WikiEN-l] Edit Wikipedia Week is coming. How not to bite the n00bs?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 15:03:45 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 9:57 AM,  <joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu> wrote:
> RC-patrol seems to have the most biting as far as I can tell. I'd suggest
> possibly altering the RC top to make a note for the 24 hours or so
> prior to the
> week starting asking people not to bite.

Examples please?

Simply saying "don't bite" is going to have approximately zero effect.
If people realized what they were doing was inappropriate they would,
for the most part, not be doing it.

Instead we probably need so say things like "Don't assume that people
have any clue what they are doing wrong. New users are often lost and
confused. Our policy pages amount to megabytes of text.  Taking a
moment to be kind and helpful will pay off over time. Vandalism can
wait a moment."  ... and being able to provide *good* example of what
to do and what not to do would be very helpful.