[WikiEN-l] Get PAID to make content for Wikipedia!

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Nov 5 14:15:28 UTC 2007

Charlotte Webb wrote:
> On 11/2/07, joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu <joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu> wrote:
>
>> b) it ruins our Tom Sawyer approach to get so many editors. If we start paying
>> some people to whitewash the fence, whitewashing looks a lot less fun.
>>

> Isn't this more or less what I said in my (quite unpopular) response
> to the "[WikiEN-l] Could we use a chore wheel?" thread...

For what it's worth, in asking about a chore wheel I did not mean to
suggest any system of payment or brownie points or one person
controlling another person's work. It's all self-driven. I've tried to
explain the concept better here in prep for getting the bot approved:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChoreBot

The main purpose is to allow you to set yourself a reminder to work on a
task that you think is necessary but not much fun. For example, Saturday
I spent some time handling CAT:CSD and WP:AN/I requests.

I'd like to do that more regularly. For starters, ChoreBot will just
remind me of that goal. Eventually it might do fancier things, like
letting me know which of my chosen options is the most backlogged. Or
graphing the amount of time spent on things. But all agency will stay
where it belongs: in the hands of editors.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri