[WikiEN-l] JzG's banning Private Musings regarding BADSITES debate

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Thu Nov 1 19:03:34 UTC 2007

Quoting Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net>:

>>> You may file a request for arbitration if you wish regarding this
>>> matter, as may PrivateMusings with respect to his ban.
>>
>>> Fred
>>
>> I appreciate the offer, but  I actually think this will be clear-cut
>> enough that it won't come to having to get Arbcom involved.  PM will
>> probably be unblocked as soon as enough eyeballs focus on the issue.
>>
>> Dealing with Guy's behavior may one day have to go all the way to
>> Arbcom someday, but let's hope not.  Hopefully in the light of day,
>> he'll realize his errors.  IF not, hopefully the community can
>> convince him that this was an abuse.   And if that still doesn't
>> convince him, only then would I even consider involving an
>> already-overloaded Arbcom.
>>
>> Alec

> The question is whether a user in good standing can create an alternate
> account to troll with.
>
> Fred

There are multiple issues here and we should consider each issue separately.
Guy's behavior is a legitimate issue to discuss. As far as I can tell Guy's
behavior here was less than perfect but doesn't seem like it needs to go to
ArbCom or anything similar. Now as to Fred's comment that " The question is
whether a user in good standing can create an alternate account to troll with"
I don't even think that's one of the questions at issue here since the account
in question never engaged in trolling but rather helpful and reasoned
argument.
Indeed, this seems to be exactly what Alec complained about earlier when he
noted that good-faith arguments against BADSITES and variants thereof seem to
frequently get labeled as trolling or pro-harassment.