[WikiEN-l] JzG's banning Private Musings regarding BADSITES debate

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:32:31 UTC 2007

On 01/11/2007, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

> > I appreciate the offer, but  I actually think this will be clear-cut
> > enough that it won't come to having to get Arbcom involved.  PM will
> > probably be unblocked as soon as enough eyeballs focus on the issue.

> The question is whether a user in good standing can create an alternate
> account to troll with.

Oh, Fred. There you go again, recasting the debate, just like you
incessantly did last time the attack-sites policy was discussed on
this very list.

The debate isn't about whether or not someone's "permitted to troll",
which is obviously not something any sane person differs on. The
debate is about whether someone can arbitrarily declare someone else's
behaviour trolling, for doing something we'd previously tolerated, and
ban them indefinitely... whilst in a dispute with them. Which is an
entirely different topic, and - remarkably - one we can discuss
without automatically deciding that The Person We Don't Agree With Is
Inherently Wrong.

I really wish I didn't have to keep calling you on this. It's
embarrassing for all of us.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk