[WikiEN-l] Thoughts on naming people - article content, this time.

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Thu May 31 18:24:33 UTC 2007

On 5/31/07, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, reading wikien-l in one window, and browsing random-article with
> the other, I came across:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jews_in_politics
>
> "This List of Jews contains individuals who, in accordance with
> Wikipedia's verifiability and no original research policies, have been
> identified as Jews by reliable sources."
>
> Given the context of the ongoing discussion about wilfuly outing
> people... is it just me who finds that wording, hmm, a touch odd?
> Discuss.

In and of itself, if they are/have identified as Jewish, no harm. Being
Jewish is not a bad thing, or being identified as a Jew if that's what you
are, ditto for whatever other religion. But it opens the door to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Catholics_in_politics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslims_in_politics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Protestants_in_politics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atheists_in_politics

Probably better as a category? And what politics, for that matter? English?
American? Dutch? Taiwanese?

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joeszilagyi.com