[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Thu May 31 17:26:43 UTC 2007

On 30 May 2007 at 20:10:47 -0500, "Slim Virgin"
<slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan, would you be okay with this scenario? I today create a website
> that outs you, says where you live, and accuses you of being a
> pedophile, with some alleged examples. I then start a discussion about
> it on various project pages, and every time I mention it, I link to
> it. I'm careful not to link to the actual page that gives your
> details, so I'm not linking to a personal attack. I'm just linking to
> the main page, and I link here and I link there, I link everywhere, in
> an attempt to increase my readership.

Given my own temperament and bizarre sense of humor, I might well
react to it by linking directly to your attack myself, on my user
page, along with a comment like "Look here [LINK], where Slim Virgin
calls me a pedophile... amazing what lengths people will go to
character-assassinate somebody they disagree with.  She's probably
trying to get me to lose my cool and start lashing out at her so she
can revel in my reaction, but she's wasting her time... such
ludicrous accusations are worthy only of pointing at and laughing
uproariously... certainly not taking seriously enough to raise a big
stink about."

In fact, I did quite a similar thing back when Jeff Merkey had
attacks of that sort on me (and other Wikipedians) on his own
website... I linked to that, and to Brandt's hivemind page (which
also included me), on my user page in a "point-and-laugh" manner,
only taking down those links when they stopped working later.  Nobody
objected at the time that I was "linking to attack sites", because it
seems like this hysteria is a fairly recent phenomenon.

> Let's take it a bit further. Let's suppose I'm a reporter and I write
> an article about my experiment for a reliable source, and let's also
> suppose it's a very notable newspaper, but not a good one, and it lets
> me name the website in the article. I don't name you, but I also don't
> admit that I made up the pedophile allegation. I just present the
> creation of the website as an experiment; veracity of contents to be
> left to the reader.

I would hope that, being responsible journalists, they would seek and
publish sufficient information to make it clear that the accusations
in the site they were mentioning were entirely false.

> Should someone then be able to create a Wikipedia article about my
> site, and link to it in that article so that it ends up in a prominent
> place in Google?

In that hypothetical case, where the site actually does become
notable in the outside world, then yes... and I'd hope the article is
factual and NPOV, and indicates the falsity of the site's claims.

> Then try to imagine how you'd vote in an RfA for someone who called my
> website a "mixed bag," and who didn't want a ban on linking to it.

It would depend on their motives and explanations, wouldn't it?  If
they said it was a "mixed bag" because "Dan Tobias may not quite be a
pedophile, in the legal sense, but I think he does have an unnatural
affection for young children and ought to be kept under scrutiny for
this", then I'd likely oppose him for lack of good sense given that
there's simply no logical reason to jump to any conclusion remotely
like that.  On the other hand, if it was that "I disagree with the
stupid and unfounded accusations Slim made there, but I understand
the point of the experiment, however misguided, and perhaps it has in
fact illustrated some flaws in Wikipedia's model whereby it can be
disrupted by making silly accusations against editors.  We should try
to fix those flaws, while also making it clear that pointing them out
in this sort of destructive manner should not be tolerated.  I see no
point, however, to shoving the whole thing under the rug by
suppressing all links to this regrettably notable site", then I might
choose not to oppose him despite the personal involvement.

--
== Dan ==