[WikiEN-l] What BADSITES boils down to

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Thu May 31 14:12:20 UTC 2007

On Wed, 30 May 2007, Risker wrote:
> However, many of the people who initially supported this essay/proposed
> policy (and I think I see both Slim Virgin and jayjg saying this) have come
> to the conclusion that this proposal is seriously flawed.
>
> I see that there is much stronger support for the current proposal on the
> NPA site - it's pretty well down to minor wordsmithing at this point.  Is it
> possible to come together as a community and slay the demon that BADSITES
> has become?  Can we now put the "rejected" tag on it, having found what
> appears to be near resolution on NPA?

You can put "rejected" on it, but I see no resolution on NPA.

Slim Virgin and jayg think the proposal was flawed because of the Teresa
Nielsen Hayden links being removed.  But if you ask them about any of the
other abuses of BADSITES, including removal of links in the talk page
discussing BADSITES itself, they will insist that the links should be gone
and that they cannot think of any real situations where a link to an attack
site is useful.

The only "resolution" is that now that BADSITES has been applied to a site
they don't care about, they can pretend to be moderates by being moderate
about that site, while stil demanding an extreme policy about the sites
they were trying to delete in the first place.