[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Thu May 31 05:00:14 UTC 2007

Jayjg wrote:

> Somebody asserted that it could be beneficial to Wikipedia to link to
> sites like WR. I challenged that person to provide concrete examples
> of how. Soon afterwards hysterical rhetoric ensued, policies and
> insults flying left and right, impassioned cries of "censorship",
> babies being murdered, death stars being blown up, heat death of the
> universe, etc. The usual.

This description is mostly mischaracterization of the discussion. The
part about "babies being murdered," for example, is based on a
complete misreading. Someone who supports the BADSITES policy argued
awhile back that use of BADSITES as a pretext for systematically
removing links to the "Making LIght" website was merely a case of
someone misinterpreting the policy and didn't reflect badly on the
policy itself. The argument was that the policy shouldn't be rejected
simply on the basis of an instance of it being misused. The specific
phrase used was "don't throw out the baby with the bathwater," where
the "baby" meant the BADSITES policy. This in turn led to several
subsequent postings that mentioned babies and bathwater, including
one posting by an opponent of the BADSITES policy who said something
about not murdering the baby. It was a bit of playful wordplay, not
the sort of hysterical rhetoric you're making it out to be. Maybe you
hadn't followed the whole thread and just didn't get the reference.

As for death stars being blown up, heat death of the universe, etc.,
that's just Jayjg adding some hyperbole to exaggerate his point. No
one here actually talked about death stars.

On another matter -- the stuff about "pedophiles" -- Jayjg is correct
that I was confusing him with someone else. It was Slim Virgin who
wrote the hypothetical stuff about someone being called a pedophile.
My apologies.

But since Jayjg says he doesn't support a policy of censorship, I
hope he can clarify something for me. Suppose someone writes an item
for Signpost or their user talk page that mentions and links to
something on Wikipedia Review. I gather that Jayjg generally thinks
linking to WR is a bad idea, but just suppose that someone who feels
differently DOES create such an item. (Maybe they want to critique
something amusingly ridiculous that Daniel Brandt has written.)
Jayjg, since you don't support censorship, does that mean you do NOT
advocate systematically purging such links from Signpost and user
talk pages? It's okay with you if they remain, even though you
personally would prefer that they weren't there?

|  Subscribe to our free weekly list serve by visiting:
|  http://www.prwatch.org/cmd/subscribe_sotd.html
|
|  Donate now to support independent, public interest reporting:

https://secure.democracyinaction.org/dia/organizations/cmd/shop/
custom.jsp?donate_page_KEY=1107