[WikiEN-l] And now for a word on trivial BLPs

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Thu May 31 00:28:29 UTC 2007

K P wrote:
> Yes, nothing false about Doc's analogy.  California lottery numbes and the
> weather in the Bay Area are reported in the Los Angeles Times, the
> Chronicle, the Oakland Tribune, the San Diego papers, the Reno papers, and
> the Bay Area weather is reported in hundreds of papers all over the world
> and on weather sites on the web--plenty of nontrivial sites.

But it's also irrelevant. Even given for purposes of argument the rather
dubious notion that ordinary weather and lotto numbers are "notable" by
Wikipedia standards on the day that they happen, and granting that all
notability is permanent and therefore they remain notable on days
subsequent to the first one, we still wouldn't write Wikipedia articles
about such things.

The reason is because notability is not the sole determinant of whether
something gets a Wikipedia article or not. If we were to come up with a
policy declaring that it is valid to have articles about red things, it
does not logically follow that we must therefore have articles about
every red thing that exists. These policies don't exist in isolation,
there are lots of different criteria that can apply.

And also note, BTW, that I don't actually agree that ordinary weather
and lotto numbers are "notable" even on the day that they happen. IMO
that would be silly.