[WikiEN-l] And now for a word on trivial BLPs

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue May 29 04:58:36 UTC 2007

On 5/28/07, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> > Or there is infomation of a more technical type:
> > [[Gun-type fission weapon]]
>
> Potential harm is a rather subjective thing, too. There's all manner of
> other concepts that could fall under this.

I said this on-wiki, but I'll say it here now as well:

That particular article is harmless.  The Nuclear Weapons FAQ (see
http://www.nuclearweaponsarchive.org and scroll 2/3 of the way down)
has design engineering how-to information.  Essentially none of that
is here on Wikipedia.  What's here is harmless, for all the nuclear
weapons articles.  None of the mathematics, engineering analysis
techniques, etc which are necessary to actually design or build
anything nuclear or thermonuclear are present on Wikipedia.

I've worked on this topic for over 15 years; it's subject to bouts of
widespread paranoia among those who don't understand what info really
is sensitive (the *really* sensitive stuff isn't even in the FAQ,
though we don't have any illusions as to whether leaving it out is
really keeping anything from North Korea or Iran...).  I would be
happy to talk to anyone who has concerns about this off-list.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com