[WikiEN-l] Another "BADSITES" controversy

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Mon May 28 17:28:09 UTC 2007

On 28 May 2007 at 11:54:57 -0500, "Slim Virgin"
<slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:

> John, I don't think anyone is arguing that extreme position. It's a
> strawman. The whole BADSITES policy proposal was a strawman started by
> a sockpocket. All that's being argued is that sites *devoted* to
> outing and defamation  -- the purpose-built attackers, where it's all
> or most of what they do -- shouldn't be linked to.

And referring to sites like that is itself pretty close to being a
straw man, given that very few sites actually exist that strictly fit
that description.  Daniel Brandt's Hive Mind, perhaps, but even that
was only part of his site (and has subsequently been taken down). The
other sites that generally come up in these debates are definitely
*not* devoted solely to outing and defamation; they have critical
commentary, much of it crude and obnoxious, but "outing" individual
editors is far from their primary focus.  And other sites the policy
has also been applied to, like the science fiction editor's site
that's the subject of the latest controversy, has such activity only
as a very minor sidelight to its major activities which have resulted
in many pages that are considered reliable sources for a variety of
Wikipedia articles.

--
== Dan ==