[WikiEN-l] Have we ever had a reader complaint of a lack of spoiler tags?

Skyring skyring at gmail.com
Thu May 24 13:24:00 UTC 2007

On 5/24/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/24/07, Skyring <skyring at gmail.com> wrote:
> > A person who believes that encyclopaedia articles will contain spoiler
> > warnings is, if not a cretin, woefully optimistic. This may be easily
> > demonstrated at any library.
>
> Wikipedia bears a superficial resemblance to some print
> encyclopaedias. Any stronger statement is likely inaccurate. Do
> encyclopaedias have list of pokemons? Do they have warnings that
> material is not neutral? Do they change from day to day? Do they
> contain phrases like "JOHN IS GAY HAHAHA"?
>
> So, a belief that print encyclopaedia articles contain spoiler
> warnings may be ill-founded. A belief that Wikipedia articles contain
> spoiler warnings is more reasonable. Especially since it's true.

I doubt that Wikipedia was ever intended to showcase pokemon arcana or
schoolchild graffiti. We hold a higher ideal. At least I do.

In deference to the uptothemoment nature of Wikipedia, I'll support spoiler
warnings for recent works of fiction and movies. Shakespeare or Tom Clancy,
no - they belong to the ages.

--
Peter in Canberra