[WikiEN-l] BLP, and admin role in overriding community review

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed May 23 23:59:44 UTC 2007

Fred Bauder wrote:

> [...]
Fred, I think you're confusing "real, verifiable, widely-reported, true
but negative information" with "malice". Slander or libel is reporting
-untrue- information, not -true- information. Especially when that
information is already widely published in reliable sources (and it
should be, we're never a first publisher), we're not harming someone by
reporting on what the reports said.

If I go put into a person's article "X murdered someone a year ago! I
know it!" with nothing to back it up, I'm acting out of malice. On the
other hand, if someone is a convicted murderer, I'm not acting out of
malice by putting that sourced information into their article-even if
it's really all they're noted for. (We have an article on Jeffrey
Dahmer, and though he's not alive, he's certainly only notable for his
murders. Same with John Lee Malvo, and he is alive.)

We don't have a ton of negative information in the article about Mother
Teresa, because, well, she's mainly notable for doing positive things!
That's not a violation of undue weight, it's an accurate reflection of
the information and sources available.But by the same token, it is -not-
a violation of undue weight to have mainly negative things in an article
about someone who's mainly notable for doing negative things.