[WikiEN-l] BLP, and admin role in overriding community review

jkelly at fas.harvard.edu jkelly at fas.harvard.edu
Wed May 23 21:08:36 UTC 2007

  Todd,

  While the below sounds like a reasonable concern, I suggest that you're
missing an important point.  If a Wikipedian encounters something being
published through the site that looks potentially libelous, they should remove
the content, and that content should stay removed, until all reasonable
concerns have been addressed, and anything that needs fixing has been fixed.

  There still seems to be this idea that potential libel, potential copyright
infringement, etc. should continue to be published onsite until it has been
voted off in strict accordance to bylaw something or other of the policy of the
week.

  Reversing the removal of this kind of material is just as bad as the original
use of the site to publish it.  We need to hold accountable any admin who uses
Wikipedia to publish potential libel. That's not giving every user "office
powers".  It's a statement that someone who thinks reversing BLP removals just
because there's no policy against it, or because the user didn't cite the
correct combination of letters when removing it, shouldn't continue to be an
administrator.

           Jkelly