[WikiEN-l] Have we ever had a reader complaint of a lack of spoiler tags?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue May 22 16:55:09 UTC 2007

Mark Gallagher wrote:

>G'day Matt,
>

>>As Skyring also mentions, is there any logical reason why fiction
>>articles should have spoiler warnings but e.g. sports articles should
>>not? If I haven't seen the game yet, it's my responsibility not to go
>>reading things that might tell me the score; if I haven't read the
>>book, likewise.
>>

>I quite like this question, too (oh, and welcome back, Pete).
>
>Why *don't* we have spoiler warnings in sports articles?
>
>Is it because the editors on sports articles don't bring the whole
>fanboy culture along with them?

We have had spoiler warnings on TV regarding the announcement of sports
scores.  Generally it is when the station broadcasting the event is time
shifting, because the original event took place overseas in the middle
of the night, or they were pre-occupied with another conflicting event.
These spoiler warnings are almost invariably applicable for periods less
than 24 hours.

Ec