[WikiEN-l] School Districts and notability

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:14:39 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Angela Anuszewski <angela.anuszewski at gmail.com> wrote:
> My earlier reading made me consider whether or not school districts
> are notable simply because they exist, or some more significant event
> or achievement should be required to create or retain an article on the
> subject.

If a wealth of verifiable information about a school or district...
total enrollment, dropout rate, square footage of the facility, date
of establishment, geographical coordinates, mascot, sports team
uniform colors, number and average salary of faculty, nearest state
highway (most, if not all, of those will have articles)... can be
added to Wikipedia, any (inherently subjective) measure of
"notability" is not relevant. If it's only a small amount, more can
always be added later, particularly by somebody living in the area who
is more likely to have access to back issues of local newspapers,
which might not be available online, and could reveal additional
information — there may have been a shooting incident or other violent
crime on campus which was covered locally but did not attract national
media attention, as would probably be the case if no serious injuries
or deaths resulted.

If information exists, somebody will add it. Try not to be too quick
in completely writing off certain topics. Stub templates exist for a
reason.

—C.W.