[WikiEN-l] The American ego trumps all -- thank God, 'cause mine needs surrounded by other big heads

Matthew Brown morven at gmail.com
Tue May 22 05:34:53 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:
> "This is ludicrous" is the mailing list (née USENET) way of saying "I
> disagree with this".

Thank you for catching me at the same level of hyperbole as I'm ticked
at in others! ;)

> Suppose Federation had occured slightly earlier, such that Queensland
> (which we'll be calling "Germany" for this experiment) had existed as an
> Australian State for longer than Germany has as Germany.  How many
> Australians would be demanding that Germany the country should not be at
> [[Germany]], because a disambig (at least) or even the state belongs there?

Quite a few, no doubt.  Of course, the situations aren't quite the
same in your experiment; the English-language mindshare of the nation
vs. the state would be quite substantially different.  Even in
America.  Even if Germany was an American state instead of Australian
in this thought experiment.

-Matt