[WikiEN-l] {{Spoiler}} insanity

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Thu May 17 03:02:41 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, doc <doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> The solution is:
> 1) Low tolerance for people turning up on articles they don't want to
> contribute to, to enforce some style.

WP:OWN

> 2) A method for the community to rubberstamp a guideline developed by a
> small group, if it effects anything more than a small section of the
> encyclopedia.

WP:CREEP

In abbreviated form, those will be the rebuttals to your solution.
Whether they would be valid ones I don't know yet. Suppose I would
have to read the small print.

While I agree we would probably be better off without {{spoiler}} tags
anywhere, I can't say the same for infoboxes. The real problem there
is inconstant formatting from one template to the next, and that there
are too many specialized ones, and in some cases nobody can agree on
which one should be used (see Paderewski). Ideally it wouldn't matter.

For now the best approach would probably be to limit the ability of
wikiprojects to annex articles of debatable relevance. Probably I'm as
annoyed by talk page banners as you are by infoboxes.

—C.W.