[WikiEN-l] [repost] Native American Tribes Policy

Will Beback will.beback.1 at gmail.com
Thu May 17 00:29:35 UTC 2007

K P wrote:
> This is about Indian gaming rights.  Wikipedia should have no part in this
> political issue of recognizing tribes.  However, articles should accurately
> reflect this dichotomy in the United States for recognition of Indians, the
> association with gaming, the practice of removing members from tribal
> rosters to consolidate the profits in fewer hands, and all other documented,
> reported, and notable issues concerning this.  But, no, Wikipedia does not
> have to support the gaming Indians political power plays.  That's not what
> an encyclopedia is for, I agree with that.
>
> KP
While KPB's comments are correct, there is something to what Merkey
wrote. Wikipedia articles should reflect all major points of view and
significant facts. Tribal recognition by the U.S. Government is a major
characteristic of modern Indian tribes. There are exactly 561 such
groups. Their status should be indicated on their articles in a
consistent and neutral manner, perhaps with a category or template. It
isn't necessary for us to specially indicate which tribes aren't
recognized, though that may come up in some circumstances. We carefully
indicate the status of even minor political entities. We should give
the same care to tribes that we give to townships,  counties, and minor
nations.

Will Beback