[WikiEN-l] Referencing policy/guidelines

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Tue May 15 19:14:43 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:

> But I could put in a link to a dead site and use it to reference
> anything at all, true or false, and nobody would ever be able to
> dispute it. I think the reasonable thing to do is to leave the link in
> the wikitext, and comment it out with an explanation.
>
> Out of print books,   even the most esoteric,  are still in libraries.
> Unless dead links are in an internet archive somewhere, they are
> nowhere at all.   DGG

Since at the time those links were put in, they were live, as David Gerard
says...Assume Good Faith? It's one thing to link to a dead site after it's
died and claim it as a source; it's another to have cited the link when it
was live and later have it go dead. That's the reason we have things like
"Retrieved on [date]".

Johnleemk