[WikiEN-l] Notability on the skfields

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sat May 12 15:56:38 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:
> On Fri, 11 May 2007 23:04:36 -0600, Bryan Derksen
> <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Especially for an electronic encyclopedia with a search function. One
>> can't even claim that the "important" information gets lost in the
>> "clutter".
>
> You really think the kind of person who can afford a ski resort
> accessible only by helicopter is going to use Wikipedia as a reference
> for it?

This question is a non sequitur but I'll bite. Why would only someone
who plans to go skiing there want to read an article about it? What if
they're a student doing a report on the vacation spots of New Zealand,
an environmentalist wanting to check out the impact of ski resorts, or
even just some weirdo with a fetish for remote ski resorts? We have
plenty of other articles about places too expensive for most Wikipedia
readers to actually visit.

And even if literally _no one_ ever goes looking for the information,
what harm does it do to have it? The point I was actually making in the
post you're responding to is that articles about stuff people aren't
interested in don't significantly get in the way of finding out about
stuff that people _are_ interested in.