[WikiEN-l] OT PGP (was: Re: Encrypted challenge-responses for PGP/GPG key users)

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sat May 12 04:30:16 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, Sean Barrett <sean at epoptic.com> wrote:
> No, I don't.  I add an information-dense attachment that no modern mail
> client displays inline.

I've never used a mail client that *didn't* display it inline. Fwiw,
I'm currently using the Gmail web client, which is about as "modern"
as you can get, isn't it?

I'll have a look in Outlook 2003, I'm curious whether that processes
these things correctly. I suspect it doesn't, but will check.

But in any case, and this applies to Chris Howie as well, there is no
real benefit to me in changing to an email client that "Has A Clue".
Why would I care if your messages are signed or not? You can't prove
that you didn't send an email even if it was signed incorrectly (that
simply *doesn't prove* that you *did* send it). And I can't think of a
situation where it would be vital for me to be absolutely certain that
a message came from "you". So, PGP might have some small benefits to
the sender, but basically none to the receiver. So, no, not worth
changing email clients over :)

> Wikimedia's various servers add numerous "Received" lines to every
> message to the list.  Why aren't you complaining about them?  Probably
> because your client handles them properly.

Yep.

Steve