[WikiEN-l] You're magically made an admin. What do you do?

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sat May 12 03:04:04 UTC 2007

On 5/11/07, Ken Arromdee <arromdee at rahul.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 May 2007, David Gerard wrote:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Requests_for_comment/Tony_Sidaway
> >
> > "This adminstrator has subverted the intent of VfD on numerous
> > occasions." i.e., he didn't just count votes.
>
> While administrators are not supposed to count votes, neither are they
> supposed to discount them unnecessarily.  It's possible that the correct
> result should be to keep the article even though counting the votes suggests
> otherwise.  After all, it isn't supposed to be a vote count; sometimes the
> correct result doesn't match the vote count.  But it's much less plausible
> when it's constantly being done by the same admin.  While not following a
> vote count is expected some of the time, someone who *consistently* fails to
> follow a vote count is doing something wrong.  And some of the examples seem
> rather egregious even as single examples;
> [[Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/List of names for the human penis]] had
> 14 votes, only one of which was "keep".  He closed it as "no consensus".
> The only way in which that had no consensus was that people wanted to get rid
> of it and couldn't reach consensus on exactly what way to get rid of it.

When I'm closing an AfD, I will look at the number of editors who
advocate a given position as -one- factor, and I believe that is
important in evaluating consensus. But it's not the only factor. If
there are a ton of
ILIKEIT/IDONTLIKEIT/OTHERCRAPEXISTS/HAVENTHEARDOFIT/GOOGLETEST/etc.
arguments, I'll probably give those significantly less weight than the
arguments from those who show they actually did some looking into it.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.