[WikiEN-l] You're magically made an admin. What do you do?

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Fri May 11 00:58:34 UTC 2007

Gallagher Mark George wrote:

> To be fair, it's not exactly poor judgment from admins --- well, it is, but not entirely.

No, the blame falls almost entirely on the people clicking the button.
If administrators are trusting that the tags are correct without
thinking, that's a bigger problem than the incorrect tags.

 >  Where an admin commits an improper speedy off his own bat, it's
usually something along the lines of he judged that he didn't need to
follow process in this case.  Incompetence vs IAR, in other words.

IAR is incompetence.  It's finding bullshit justification for what one
knows is incorrect.

> Towards the end of my adminship, I was removing improperly-placed tags at least as often as I was speedying articles.

I do plenty of CSD patrol, and I'm typically removing three or four tags
a glance at this stage.  I'm close to doing some monitoring again to see
if admins are doing as good a job about it.

> It's too much to ask that speedy taggers Get A Clue, especially when you have organisations (I won't name it again, in view of geni's sensibilities) who actively work to suppress Cluefulness in many of our harder-working editors.  But I don't think it's too much to ask that admins, at the very least, Learn What You're Supposed To Be Fucking Doing before they do it, and Pay Attention You Dickhead before deleting stuff that should never have been removed.

But but but, the job is SO HARD, having to deal with ALL THE CRAP.

Really, I wish we could put together some sort of limited adminship
situation.  I'm close to starting to call for certain administrators to
have their deletion tools limited because they Just Don't Get It over
and over, and do nothing to change it.

-Jeff

--
Name: Jeff Raymond
E-mail: jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
WWW: http://www.internationalhouseofbacon.com
IM: badlydrawnjeff
Quote: "I was always a fan of Lisa Loeb, particularly
	because you kind of get the impression she
	sang every song either about or to her cats.
	They seem to be the driving force in most of
	her creative process."     - Chuck Klosterman