[WikiEN-l] Encyclopedia of Life

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed May 9 02:37:34 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am indeed a member of the Institutional Council of the EOL project
and am in Washington DC right now. I will attend the public press
conference tomorrow. Today I've been giving their Board a lot of
background on licensing issues, an overview of wiki technology, and
background on our projects.

EOL will use NameBank for the taxon names, which has ~9.5 million
records. I doubt, honestly, that Wikispecies is of much use to them in
its present form, but have given a brief summary of the project
regardless. The mock-ups contain references to Wikipedia, and they are
very interested in using Wikipedia articles as part of the
encyclopedic component. I've strongly pushed for making changes
directly in Wikipedia wherever possible, and we'll see where that
leads. And, as you can expect, I've also made an argument for
permissive (WMF-compatible) licensing. Beyond that, I cannot say much
about the content of the discussions for confidentiality reasons.

This is a very exciting project and I'm glad that we've made a
connection. I am very optimistic about its future.