[WikiEN-l] no-index certain BLPs??

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Sun May 6 17:26:05 UTC 2007

doc wrote:

> 1) *no index bios on subject's request*. We keep the info, but the
> subject doesn't have an article on them , with all the vandalism or
> POV pushing risks, as top on google. They don't need to check their
> article everyday.
>
> OR
>
> 2) *no index all low-notability living-person bios* which have
> experienced any problems. Any admin, or OTRS op seeing repeat problems
> can flag it as such, reducing the collateral damage if their are
> future issues.
>
> OR
>
> 3) *no index ALL BLPs* - being in [[category:Living persons]] could
> automatically flag the article. This would be easiest to maintain, and
> apply consistently. The argument against it will be that it will take
> [[George W. Bush]] etc off google, but if it were combined with stable
> versions, so that all BLPs were removed from Google UNLESS they were
> stable, we might have a workable solution. The popular ones are likely
> to have stable versions very quickly. Incidentally, this would also
> reduce the attraction of vanity bios.

While I sympathize with the reasons for concern, I object to treating
parts of the encyclopedia differently in this manner. Backroom stuff
like articles for deletion, I would agree. But not the encyclopedia
proper. If we have articles that we don't want search engines to index,
we should *delete* those articles.

The real answer is the increasingly urgent need to implement stable or
reviewed versions of articles. In that context, it would certainly be
possible to consider having a "noindex" attribute for articles that do
not have any revision marked as having been reviewed.

--Michael Snow