[WikiEN-l] Press coverage listing the HD-DVD key

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri May 4 20:30:53 UTC 2007

On 5/4/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 5/4/07, Joe Szilagyi <szilagyi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm just curious. Isn't it a technical violation of US law/DMCA to link back
> > to pages that include infringing material?
>
> I don't think that has ever been decided in court one way or another.
> But someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It has.
It's illegal if you knowingly do so for the purpose of disseminating
the circumvention device.

See Universal studios and friends vs 2600, and the court of appeals
ruling which upheld it.

At least some of the folks who have given the opinion that hosting the
key material is illegal made their statements from reasoned and well
considered positions.