[WikiEN-l] Press coverage listing the HD-DVD key

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri May 4 20:08:30 UTC 2007

> On 04/05/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Find a nice Dutch webhost? (Which given this garbage, might not be a
> > terrible idea anyway?)
>

> Nope: just say "Here's an encyclopedic article. They're trying to
> suppress this. Have a look at them SUPPRESSING a NUMBER." Instant
> press disaster. Same reason the RIAA backed down from suing Ed Felten.

Given the number of take down notices sent and how bullish the MPAA is
being about further legal action we would expect the kind of press
already if it was going to happen.

> We may get crappy press about stupid vandalism to living bios, but
> that's completely irrelevant to this PR battle. on one side you have
> this (ultimately) nerdy and noble Internet encyclopedia that A THIRD
> OF ALL AMERICANS USE DAILY, not to mention *every* journalist I've
> spoken to about Wikipedia in the last year ... and on the other, you
> have widely despised thugs with money, trying to SUPPRESS a NUMBER.

No trying to prevent the theft of movies that threatens the livelyhood
and jobs of 1000s of people who own kittens.

See Mayor Michael Bloomberg supports yh MPAA (just be careful not to
say what in the press release
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=586207&category=ARTS&newsdate=5/3/2007

An industry that is able to hide the suck in matix reloaded is
unlikely to have significant problems outspinning us.

> The people posting to this list with the apparent impression that a
> DMCA notice sent to Wikimedia about the key would cause the site to be
> switched off an hour later or sent broke ... are being ridiculous.
> Completely and utterly clueless about how these things work in
> practice. If you feel I'm being unfair to you in saying that, please
> detail your experience, 'cos I bet I have way more than you do.

Foundation would take down the code. If it didn't MPAA would be left
with the option of appearing completely toothless or fighting in
court. Yes it would take a few months and the sale of the wikipedia
domain would probably cover the eventual judgement but the damage done
would be significant.

--
geni