[WikiEN-l] HD DVD key mess - OFFICE/Foundation?

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed May 2 19:08:14 UTC 2007

Andrew Gray wrote:
> Of course, it is notable as "the HD DVD key", not as a string of hex
> digits - there is nothing *numerically* significant about it. We could
> quite legitimately (if somewhat clumsily) write about it and the giant
> kerfuffle without ever actually quoting the number, or indeed ever
> *needing* to. Consider the way newspapers cover high-profile
> defamation lawsuits without ever quoting the slander - the important
> story is that something was said and how it was reacted to, not the
> exact wording of what was actually said...

I don't necessarily disagree w.r.t. to the key, but many newspapers make
a point of quoting relevant portions of the slander when discussing
defamation lawsuits, so as to fully inform their readers.  Some, like
The Economist, even quote their own slander when retracting or
apologizing for it, to be clear what they're retracting (e.g. "Last week
we said that Tony Blair eats babies, when in fact it turns out he does
not. We regret the error.")

-Mark