[WikiEN-l] HD DVD key mess - OFFICE/Foundation?

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Wed May 2 14:22:17 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2 May 2007, David Gerard wrote:
> > People, we *have* a
> > process for deleting articles that are legally questionable.  It's called
> > [[WP:OFFICE]].  Out of process speedy deletion is not it.
> I believe (a) that's process over product (b) your views are
> completely at odds with the way things actually work, and you should
> consider that maybe that's not horrifying.

It's not at odds with how things work in cases like this, because there aren't
a lot of cases like this.  Following process is more important when there is
controversy.

And following process is important, not as "process over product", but
because it means some accountability, even if only that whoever follows the
process risks losing credibility if he/they publically stand behind a bad
decision.  *Not* following process in controversial cases like this is a
way to avoid blame for mistakes.

Following process is also less subject to a slippery slope; one big out of
process deletion may lead to others in the future, each one just a bit harder
to justify, until the whole thing collapses.