[WikiEN-l] Getting hammered in a tv interview is not fun

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Mar 31 09:15:20 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>> geni wrote:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_%28news%29#Robert_Mugabe.27s_daughter_-_news_story_originating_from_Wikipedia.3F
>> So that's the best example I have seen in a while.
>
> I don't see it as a good example, myself. The edit in question was
> referenced with an appropriate and well-formatted external source, so a
> policy of "instantly nuke any unsourced statements" would have failed to
> catch this.

This was in no way an appropriate external source.  It was, at very
best, original research, but apparently it was not even that, but a flat
out lie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Robert_Mugabe&diff=85665104&oldid=85227651

I am sure you will agree with me that a link to a list of students,
which did not even at that time contain the name, along with a link to a
login page which is alleged to contain the name, does not constitute an
"appropriate external source".

So I think you just didn't read it closely enough.

--Jimbo