[WikiEN-l] Just what *is* Jimbo's role anyway? - personality cult

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 23:27:50 UTC 2007

On 24/03/07, Seth Finkelstein <sethf at sethf.com> wrote:

>         Well, I didn't join this list to be a troll, and I suspect if
> I go into detail, many members won't take it kindly. I also don't want
> to deal with The Attack Of The Strawmen, where every statement has to
> be guarded against being made a strawman because someone will feel
> they've scored a big victory by knocking that down.

i.e., you'll make a vague accusation, but getting you to actually
substantiate it is like pulling teeth.

As I understand from your Guardian piece, your theory is more or less
(and correct me word by word as needed): Wikipedia is a cult of
Jimbo's personality, where he gets everyone to write stuff for him for
free, so that he can profit from it using Wikia. Please correct and/or
expand as needed; alternately, actually flesh out your theory from the
one-line synopsis.

- d.