[WikiEN-l] Thoughts on naming people - article content, this time.

Joe Szilagyi szilagyi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 15:41:34 UTC 2007

On 6/1/07, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/1/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why aren't these categories being removed as blatant NPOV violation
> > and incitement to more? Is NPOV up for a vote at CFD or something?
>
> Because it turns out to be very hard to get these things deleted, in
> practice.

For the list articles themselves, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Jewish-American_politicians

I went one at random: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Gruening   ...and
not one mention of "Jew", "Jewish", or "Judaism" beside the infobox. The two
online sources:

http://famousamericans.net/ernestgruening.com/
http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=G000508

Also have nothing indicating his religiion. Why aren't these articles just
hammered for BLP concerns? Let alone the general lack of sourcing? Less than
half the names have any sources at all. I've seen people scrub lists that
were infinitely more trivial for lack of sourcing than BLP-related lists
like this...

Regards,
Joe
http://www.joeszilagyi.com