[WikiEN-l] Metapedia - worse than Conservapedia

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 08:17:08 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> George Herbert wrote:

> >> I was talking about Conservapedia. I haven't read Metapedia, so I have
> >> no informed opinion there.
> >>
> >> On the other hand, I have read (as much as I could stomach) of
> >> Conservapedia. And my (thus informed) opinion is that it sucks. Take the
> >> worst POV revisions of every article we've got, and you got Conservapedia!
> >>

> > Please stop using wikien-l as a forum to bash other wikis.  We knew
> > what you thought about them some number of posts ago.  These comments
> > being made on a public mailing list don't do Wikipedia's public image
> > any good.
> >
> > I neither think your conclusions are wrong nor want to infringe your
> > freedom to have and speak your opinions, but ongoing bashing on this
> > list is bad for Wikipedias' reputation.
> >

> I don't believe NPOV applies to the mailing list, the last time I checked.

No, certainly not.

But writers and critics are clearly aware of the list, and though they
may not get uppity now when you're poking fun at a bunch of white
supremacists who likely karmically deserve it, they will remember.
And everything you say here is on the public record, and since it's a
Foundation list, it indirectly reflects on the Foundation.

This went beyond "take notice of" and "have obligatory round of
comments on", to "bash on site X a while".  That doesn't reflect well
on us.

Do you want David Gerard to have to defend all your comments today
live on BBC News some day?  Or Jimmy, on CNN or Larry King Live?

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com