[WikiEN-l] listcruft

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 00:55:52 UTC 2007

> Actualy acording to our article on the song the author claims a
> different meaning.

Writers might claim a song is "not really about masturbation", saying
that all the lyrical references to masturbation (which might range
from subtle to blatant) are actually, in their minds at least,
"complex metaphors for something else". That seems fair enough and
generally makes sense.

On the other hand, dismissing any resemblance as coincidental is a
disingenuous borderline attack on fans' intelligence.

If the writers of "I Touch Myself" made a denial similar to the one
you refer to (in "Blister in the Sun"), nobody would pay them any
attention, hopefully.

—C.W.