[WikiEN-l] The Register decries Wikipedia's "censorship" via OTRS

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 19:07:20 UTC 2007

Andrew,  a newssource is not "reasonably good" when it sensationalizes minor
stories and even prints patent falsehoods. I arrived at the conclusion that
the Register is not a reliable source after not just this awful mess of an
article, but several others on varied topics. Such as one once used as the
primary source of info in the FA-class Guinea pig article, about what they
called "cultural persecution" by the city of NY, when no person was quoted
as leveling such a charge. All news organizations could be argued to have an
editorial slant. But slanting actual facts to place them in a different
light, and printing things that were never said or done to lend notability
to story that never existed, that isn't a reliable news source. It's a
tabloid. Plain and simple.

Wikipedians know better to use other tabloids, say like the World Weekly
News or The National Enquirer, as reliable sources for serious facts about
events. But the use of this particular rag as "good" verification is still
in practice. This is unacceptable.