[WikiEN-l] My favorite Wikipedia article ever

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 12:23:42 UTC 2007

On 08/07/07, Zoney <zoney.ie at gmail.com> wrote:

> Again the redefinition of the word "consensus" to avoid meaning general
> agreement. No-one should ever have to "gauge" the consensus - if it is
> there, it's there - i.e. general agreement all round.

This is not entirely accurate. There are many instances where people
are in broad consensus on what to do with no idea of what they've
actually decided... but then, you're not gauging consensus per se,
you're gauging what it's consensus for.

[You know the idea. Everyone in agreement that something in this vague
line ought to be done, but...]

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk