[WikiEN-l] My favorite Wikipedia article ever

Adrian aldebaer at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 7 12:37:49 UTC 2007

The article didn't really shock me to tell the truth. If you have the
nerves, take a look at [[Professional wrestling]] and some of the
articles it links to.

A commonsense-oriented notability guideline seems as necessary as it
would be difficult to implement, because opposition to such a proposal
can be expected from multiple directions. Some would oppose based on
their fear of deletionist book burnings, others see the strain it would
put on process.

I believe such a proposal could only stand a chance as part of a far
reaching reform, possibly including the abandonment of AfD in its
current form.

Ideas like annex.wikia.com may be one alternative way to address the
issue of articles with non-encyclopedic subjects (fiction related
articles in the case of annex). Nothing beyond the obvious deletion
candidates would really have to be deleted. Instead, such articles could
be moved to annex, awaiting relocation into a more suitable wiki.

But I expect major difficulties explaining "just why" a subject like
[[Professional wrestling aerial techniques]], despite all the references
in the article, isn't fit for its own Wikipedia article. Same goes for
many "recent events" and fiction related pages.

On the other hand, such "outsourcing" efforts could work wonders against
vandalism, much of which happens on subjects with recent news coverage.
And it would probably increase the overall reputation of Wikipedia, too.

Adrian