[WikiEN-l] Nofollow back on URL links on en.wikipedia.org articles for now

geni geniice at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 10:31:19 UTC 2007

On 1/23/07, Sage Ross <sage.ross at yale.edu> wrote:
> I like this one:
> http://www.smomashup.com/how-wikipedia-killed-the-internets/2007/01/23/
>
> The complaint is that, once the (barely notable) entry on [[Social
> Media Optimization]] stops giving PageRank value to the blog-post
> origin of the term, then the Wikipedia article will surpass the blog
> entry as the first Google result for "social media optimization".
> Breaks my heart.

It's not quite that simple. It is true that our actions are likely to
be mildly dissruptive on the wider net but even our more power mad
admins generaly don't think we should be policeing the web.

We are not a links directory which is one of the problems with various
ideas to selectively turn off no follow. If we do that we are basicaly
admiting we are a links directory and we would gain very little for
doing so.

--
geni