[WikiEN-l] Tim Noah addresses the notion of notability in another Slate article

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Wed Feb 28 21:14:21 UTC 2007

Guy Chapman aka JzG wrote:

>   "A topic is notable if it has been the subject of at least one
>    substantial or multiple, non-trivial published works from sources
>    that are reliable and independent of the subject and of each other.
>
> All we need to do now is define what constitutes a reliable source for
> different content areas.

And what constitutes "multiple."  And "substantial."  And "non-trivial."
And "independent."

Like I said before - a film "notable" enough to be added to the United
States Film Registry fails to meet this guideline.  Massive failure.

> The subject-specific guidelines often boil down to "this is an area
> where impassioned fans of the subject think Wikipedia should be a
> directory, and where it is therefore acceptable to draw the entire
> content of the article from primary sources".

Oh, come on Guy.  That's a huge straw man, and one I've never seriously
seen presented.  The subject-specific guidelines say "This is what
actually makes something 'notable'."  Nothing more, nothing less.

-Jeff