[WikiEN-l] Scott McCloud on Wikipedia

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Wed Feb 28 19:45:36 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> on 2/28/07 8:39 AM, John Lee at johnleemk at gmail.com wrote:
>

>> Well, kind of the idea of creating a new class of users involved with the
>> English WP was to create a new "top" so we wouldn't need to rely on the
>> mandate coming from Jimbo who, I think, is a bit isolated from the things
>> that go on in WP on a daily basis.
>>

> John,
>
> I just don't see how a group can lead - without a group leader.

Maybe we're getting a little off topic, but it works pretty well for me.
I started and still participate a couple of cooperatives with no formal
leadership structure. When somebody gets a bee in their bonnet, they
might lead the charge on something. Or they might form a small cabal
that makes something happen. There's no leadership in the conventional
sense, just a bunch of people who have enough respect they can get
something done when it matters.

Which, honestly, was always how I'd assumed that Wikipedia worked.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri