[WikiEN-l] Tim Noah addresses the notion of notability in another Slate article

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 28 19:28:09 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:

> I suggest: throw out notability and stick to verifiability. (And not a
> universal WP:RS, which clearly suffers the same problem in practice.)

We've had this discussion before, actually. Things like traffic
violations, locations of stop signs, and owners of real estate are
verifiable, because they're (usually) part of the public record. But
very few people would argue that those should be part of WP; I would say
that it goes against our intuition of what is a summary of human
knowledge, vs the entirety, which we might be more inclined to call a
"library".

Stan